The Very Basics of Note Reading QUIZ!
Instructions: Answer the 18 questions (plus 2 bonus questions) using the form at the bottom of the page.
1) What is this symbol shown here on the staff?
2) On the keyboard, the black keys are laid out in groupings of two and three. What note is the white key found immediately to the right of the two black keys?
3) Listen to the audio clip. Would this melody be written in the bass or treble clef?
4) True or False? Most men sing a range of notes written in the Bass Clef, while most women sing in a range written in the Treble Clef.
5) In the musical alphabet, what is the note that follows G?
6) Listen to the audio clip. Are the pitches
ascending, descending or repeating?
7) Listen to this next clip and answer ascending, descending or repeating.
8) Listen to the audio clip. Are the pitches stepping or skipping or both?
9) Listen to this next clip and answer stepping, skipping, or both.
10) What is the significance of the treble clef 's secondary and far less common name, the G clef?
12) Which of the three audio clips, (a, b, or c) represents the notes on this staff?
13) Do the first three notes here skip or step?
14) Which of the three musical examples below, a, b, or c, are played in the following audio clip?
15) How many notes in this passage are written on the 'G' line of the staff?
16) What symbol is this?
17) Musical notes are located on five lines known as what?
18) How many 'G' keys are there on this portion of the keyboard?
11) Are these notes skipping or stepping?
BONUS Question 1/2: Which of these pairs of notes, answer a, b, c or d, are at a distance (interval) of a second?
BONUS Question 2/2: How many intervals of a third can be found between notes in the following passage?
J and G
G and A
B and D
C and F